Banana Bread


First thing I do as I enter a grocery supermarket is to take a round through the bakery aisle just to see those freshly baked goodies, which always has rendered a warmth of goodness :) Banana bread has always caught my attention in the bakery aisle, but I never tried buying one , the only reason being - I wanted to try making it myself . I browsed through many sites which had banana bread recipe. Finally my search ended up in food network site..' Flour's famous banana bread' and I was so floored by the picture and procedure they gave for the same.  I tried making it many times.When ever I find four of very ripe bananas in my kitchen counter, I immedietly decide to make this utterly delicious bread. I would say its texture is more of a cake than that of a bread and the smell of cinnamon makes it fabulous!  It never come out wrong with this recipe, unless I mess up with the measurements :) Do try it out, you will never be able to stop baking it again!
For those who always keep an eye on diet chart, please note:
# Unlike other common banana bread recipes, this one does not use butter.
# To have it healthier try substituting two whole eggs with three egg whites.
# You may also use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour.
# Another healthy ingredient is walnut which is well known for its beneficial effects on heart health.

Below is the same recipe that I used from Food network site - Flour's Famous Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3 1/2 bananas, very ripe, mashed
2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Directions:

Set oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Beat sugar and eggs with a whisk until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Drizzle in oil. Add mashed bananas, creme fraiche, and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts. Pour into a lined loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Here's some extra tidbits that I learned while baking banana bread and eating it :-)
  • In my experience, the bread tastes better from the next day of preparation.
  • Before slicing allow it to cool and refrigerate. So that it will not crumble.(Picture attached is from my very first banana bread. I was so excited that I could not resist cutting it right away which resulted in those crumbles)
  • Allow the eggs to come to room temperature before using. 
  • Try not open the oven door during the course of baking, it will make the bread sink in the middle.




Comments

  1. hey...thanks for your comments...do update your blog often...you have such beautiful photos in fb...ur banana bread looks awesome...i tried making a vegan banana bread yesterday and it was a flop:( i shd get back to my original recipe. The photo is good too...do u use a dslr?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aarthi..do keep on inspiring me like this:) I could'nt post any of them this month. Should sit down and write seriously now on..
    Which recipe did you follow for making banana bread?
    Btw, I usually use Nikon coolpix.
    This banana bread was taken using iphone:)
    Your blog is very interesting. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwwwwwww.... looks super soft and tempting.. awesome pictures too.. Yummy :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment