Kozhukatta(Kozhu kattai- Steamed rice flour dumblings with coconut-jaggery filling)


Happy Vinayaka Chathurthi to all! May lord Ganesh bring peace and prosperity to everyone!
In India, Kozhukatta/Kozhukattai/ Modak is made mainly duringVinayaka Chathurthi. It is basically sweet rice dumblings stuffed with jaggery-coconut mix. This year this auspicious day falls on Sept 1st, today!!
Kozhukatta is a very healthy steamed snack. I have a long standing liking for kozhukatta, since it was a regular evening snack made by my mom. As a child, I did not like coconut that much and always tended to remove the stuffing from Kozhukatta. So my mom used to make it without stuffing, specially for me. As I grew up, I started liking the fragrance and sweetness of the filling in it and soon I began gulping the whole dumbling. My mother-in-law also used to make it for me when she came to know that I like it a lot. We can make the stuffing in advance and refrigerate it in an airtight container for two weeks. But if I do it, soon it will be over because I will be relishing it in between the meals. Do try it out! Yummmmm!!

Ingredients:

  • Rice flour......................2cups(I used Nirapara Appam powder)
  • Jaggery..........................1 cup(grated)
  • Grated coconut..............1 +1/2 cup
  • Cardomom powder........1/2 tsp
  • Cumin powder...............1/2 tsp(optional)
  • Dry ginger powder.........1/2 tsp(optional)
  • Salt.................................1/2 tsp / as required
  • Boiling water..................2 cups, to prepare the dough
  • Water..............................1/4 - 1/2  cup,to melt the jaggery
Method:
  • Melt the jaggery with just enough water . Once it is melted fully allow the solution to cool. If the jaggery is unsalted, add a dash of salt to the jaggery solution.
  • Strain the jaggery solution to remove any sediments.
  • Heat a pan and add the jaggery solution to it in a medium flame .
  • Add the grated coconut to it and stir. Remove it from flame when the mixture is dry. Do not over do it.
  • Add the spices and mix well. Keep aside.
  • Boil the water with salt. Bring the water to a rolling boil. Add it to the rice flour immedietly, little by little. Stir it with a wooden spatula continuously to form a dough. Add more boiling water if required.


  • Allow it to cool for a while and knead well with hand. Make small balls and flatten it(as you do with a chapathi dough). To it add one/two tsp of the jaggery-coconut mixture and seal it from all sides to form a ball.
  • Steam it for 20-25 minutes in a steamer/ idli cooker.

  • Serve warm and enjoy:)


On this auspicious day, I am happy to formally accept my first award in blogging..Thanks a lot Aarthi for this lovely award..

Comments

  1. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to you also.
    Ladoos look so delicious. Amazing clicks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!!Modaks look delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey ashwini...happy ganesh chathurthi...the modaks look great..i follow the same method, but i do the pointed tip...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks tasty, as does your prior post of the ricotta and pistachio cookies. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I've added yours to my Google Reader and look forward to reading your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to Deeksha, Pushpa, Aarthi, Yummychunklet and Rebecca for the wishes and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a classic and delicious recipe.. looks absolutely inviting. First time here.. you have a nice space with wonderful recipes.. thanks for sharing dear.. Happy to follow you :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment